Sunday, October 3, 2010

Winter is almost here!

Fall has come and gone very quickly up here in Fairbanks! I had a great trip home at the end of August and got to see a lot of friends and family. Since then, school has started up and now we are a month into the fall semester! I have been super busy lately with school work and meeting up with friends. I haven't even had time to make more bags!

Classes are going well so far. I am taking a biogeography course, seminar, tree-ring sampling and analysis and thesis credits this semester. The tree-ring course is more of an individual study with just one other student and the professor. I have a set of tree cores that I examine under a dissecting microscope and eventually we will measure the rings and input them to the computer where we can run statistical programs to help compare all the rings. For research, we have been plugging away at a paper and *hopefully* we are submitting it this week. I am excited to start on the next part of my research and get this paper out of the way.

Yesterday Justin and I went down to a woodsman competition put on by my school of Natural Resources. Everyone got to compete and try out all the tests if they wanted. Justin and I tried single person sawing, double person sawing and axe throwing. It was really fun to try, but I need to build up some more upper body strength if I want to be a real woodsman!! There was also log tossing, log rolling, boiling water with just three matches, an axe and one log, and burling (two people standing on a big log in the water trying to knock the other off to see who can last the longest). Those were all really fun to watch!

As always, here are a few pictures from some of my adventures!!


Polka band at the Pub. Yes we did the chicken dance :)

From the top of Ester Dome looking north of Fairbanks


Justin and I sawing some wood

Axe throwing!

My friend Hannah won this round! :)


More pictures on on Facebook! I will try to post sooner next time now that things are quieting down a little bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment