Sunday, September 20, 2009

Wickersham Dome

This past weekend has been pretty low-key but I got some exploring in! Saturday I met up with Leah, another girl in my department and we walked around downtown Fairbanks. It is not very big at all and looks a little bit sketchy, but there are some fun stores! We ended up at a store that was packed with random Alaska stuff from postcards, t-shirts, whale bone figurines, old bumper stickers, seal skin thimbles and millions and millions of beads! It was a really tiny store, but every corner had things in it! I ended up with a few beads to hopefully make earrings out of! After that, I went to a contra dance that was held on campus and was free! It was fun, but there were a lot of new dancers there. Some older guy tried to teach me to swing dance and wants me to start doing other kinds of dancing! It could be fun if I have enough time!!

This morning I went for a hike with Austin, who also went to UMaine and is a first semester graduate student as well. We went to Wickersham Dome which is about an hour north of Fairbanks off the Alaska Highway. It was a lot of fun and very pretty, but also cold and windy!! There are a few pictures posted below. I also got to see the Alaska Pipeline which was pretty neat! I thought it was funny they made a rest stop out of seeing the Alaska Pipeline! Thankfully, we did not see much for wildlife (bears), although we did see a few grousse. I did have my bear spray just incase!!


You can see the alaska pipeline in this one...the rest of it looks a lot like Maine!

Behind me is what we hiked!

At the top! It was cold!

Kind of looked like Katahdin!

It's behind me again!



That is about all I have for now! Maybe next weekend will be more exciting!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marybeth I just looked at your pictures, as I can see you made some friends I'm not surprise a nice like you I'm so happy to see how well yoou seem to be doing. We love you and miss you but were proud of you. Memere & pepere

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Marybeth its us again we had company this afternoon Dr. Emily Parent we talked about you we think your adjusting pretty well, sorry to hear about you and Lukas but maybe its better for now. I hope you have a niceweekend, we enjoyed your phone call. Take Memere and Pepere

    ReplyDelete